The Island of Abruka
Abruka is located off the southern coast of Saaremaa, approximately four kilometers from the port of Roomassaare. Abruka is the home of an Estonian rarity, a Middle European type of broadleaf forest. There are also two lighthouses on Abruka, one consructed with of girders, and the other of concrete. Both were built at the beginning of the 20th century.

The first permanent settlers arrived on Abruka during the Middle Ages, when the Saare - Lääne Bishophric, the then rulers of this part of Estonia, founded horse breeding famrs there. Today there are about thirty permanent residents on Abruka. A boat will take you to Abruka from Roomassaare. 

Abruka Museum
In the island of Abruka

Angla Windmills
The windmills are on the Upa - Leisi road at the 32 kilometer signpost. This is the only remaining windmill hill on Saaremaa. At one time, every village had a windmill hill, a hill open to the winds where all the village windmills were built. In 1925, when Angla was the home of 13 farms, there were nine windcatchers here. Today, even the five remaining ones leave a remaining impression.

Anikaitse Bluff
is located in the parish of Pöide, on the eastern coast of Kübassaare peninsula, approximately four kilometers south - east of Kubassaare lighthouse. At its highest point, the cliff rises to 3.54 meters, a pretty high point for flat Saaremaa.

Asva Fortified Settlement
The small, present - day village of Asva is located on the Laimjala - Kuivastu road, at the 33 kilometer mark. Here, on the low fields behind the village is located one of Northern Europe's most famous Bronze Age settlements. Asva gave its name to an entire culture.
The Fenno - Ugriac Late Bronze Age culture reached its westernmost point at Asva. The Asva culture was based on herding, seal hunting, and bronze working. The beginnings of crop culture were also practiced. The rise where the settlement is located was an islet or peninsula in a shallow sea during the Bronze Age.
Today, the land has risen and the sea is many kilometers away from where it was during the Bronze Age. An impression of a shore settlement is evident only during the spring flooding.

Eemu Windmill
is located on the island of Muhu, in Linnuse village, approximately one kilometer from the dam that separates Muhu and Saaremaa. The windmill was built on the historic Eemu farm windmill site by Jüri Ling. It is a working windmill, now operated as a museum. Although the windmill is no longer an indispensable part of a self - sufficient farm, the Eemu type of windmill is recognized as the symbol of Saaremaa, an important part of the landscape, and a tribute to our forebearers work and accomplishments. Still, when the wind is right, the windmill turns and flour is ground.


is located on the most northwestern tip of Saaremaa, on the Tagamõisa peninsula at its westernmost extension. It is one of our most unique and "youngest" peninsulas. Harilaid is a long, irregular stretch of land reaching from southeast to northwest. It is low - lying, its highest point in the northwest does not reach five meters above sea level. Harilaid covers 3.62 square kilometers. Its irregular shoreline has created many low - lying bays.

Jämaja church
is located on the western shore of Sõrve poolsaar, on the Kaugatuma - Sääre road at the 21 kilometer mark. Thru various reconstructions, the church reached its present look in 1864. As at Kärla, there was already a place of worship here during the Middle Ages. The carvings and details on Jämaja church's wooden pulpit are similar to those produced by artists in Lübeck during the beginning of the 17th century.

Järve beach and sand dunes
are 8 km from Kuressaare, along the Sääre road. The dunes reach 2 to 4 meters in height (in places to 6 to 8 meters) and form irregular groupings. One and a half acres constitute a popular swimming and sunning area. The beach itself consists of a 10 to 15 meters wide swath of sand and gravel that fronts a very slowly deepening and almost waveless sea. The entire area is covered with pine trees.


Jööri Village Museum
The exposition is located inside and around a reconstructed historic granary brought to the village from another place. Ethnographic objects reflecting local history and culture are exposed. Jööri Chapel, some twenty steps from the museum, was the most important centre of the fraternity of Moravians (Herrnhuter) in Saaremaa as the seat of the deacon of the brethren. Upon agreement with the farmer’s family the rest area can be used.

The Kaali meteorite craters
the kaali meteorite craters are located approximately 18 kilometers from Kuressaare, towards Kuivastu. There you will find the most extraordinary geological marvel on Saaremaa - Kaali lake. Its circular shape, the discovery of 30 meteorites in the area in 1937, and other explorations have confirmed that what we have here is a meteor crater. It is estimated that the meteor fell in the year 700 B.C. Folk tradition has long held that Kaali lake is a bottomless lake. That is unfortunately not true. Exploration has discovered a hard bottom at 16 meters. The lake itself is 50 meters in diameter, and the entire crater has a diameter of 110 meters. Apparently, at one time the crater was surrounded by stone walls dating to 600 A.D., and it is believed that it was a place of worship and pilgrimage.

Kaarma Church of Saints Peter and Paul Kaarma Church of Saints Peter and Paul is located on the Laadjala - Kaarma - Karja road at the six kilometer mark. Kaarma is one of the two oldest churches on Saaremaa. There are still some fragments remaining of 13 - 15 century frescoes. The stone baptismal font dates to the latter half of the 13th century, and the wooden, almost life - size sculpture of St. Joseph that stands under the altar is from the middle of the 15th century. Over the front portal is a stone tablet commemorating repairs made to the church in the year 1407. That tablet is considered to be the first written example of the Estonian language. Approximately ten meters north of the main portal there is a stone cross that dates to the 15th centruy.

Kaarma ring fort is located on the Laadjala - Kaarma - Karja road, at the six kilometer mark, and about 100 meters east of Kaarma church. The fort is a circular structure, originally of stone intermixed with soil. Apparently, it was also surrounded on the north, west and south sides by a 20 to 30 meter wide moat, which now has filled in. In 1407 the priest of Kaarma church was given the exclusive right to catch fish in the moat. On the east side flows the narrow Linnasoo stream, which at one time was much wider and carried more water.

The Kaarmise - Jõempa karstfield
is located on the border of Kaarma and Kärla parishes. The field covers a very large area and is unique due to its karstlakes and funnels. The area includes Kaarmise lake, the lower part of Ansepa stream and the upper part of Kärla river. Kaarmise lake is up to half a kilometer wide and generally less than one meter deep. Its shoreline is covered in grass. Water generally flows in and out of the lake only during the spring flooding. The lake is fed by rains and small springs. Ansepa stream flows into the karst field from the northwest. It is dry in the summer. Kärla river begins from the western edge.

Kahutsi ring fort
is located in Pöide parish. The grass - covered walls of the fortress can be seen from the Kuivastu - Laimjala - Kuressaare road, approximately two miles from the Pöide bus stop. It is situated on a low - rising natural hill. The stronghold is oval, from east to west its diameter is approximately 150 meters, north to south approximately 115 meters. The remaining walls are nine to ten meters high, and the area inside the walls covers approximately 3800 square meters. In the middle there is a noticeable depression, where the well was located.karja church

Karja church is approximately three kilometers from Angla, towards Koikla. It is Saaremaa's smallest church that dates from the Middle Ages, dating to the 14th century. Karja church is famous for its decorative elements. Some wall frescoes still remain. On the ceiling of the choir there are several mysterious, magical symbols, such as the three - legged triskele, a devil that looks between its legs, and the pentagram, among others.
There are also sculptures that explain the legends of St. Catherine (to whom the church is dedicated) and St. Nicholas, complete with the three unmarried maidens and the bag of gold. Over the outside eastern portal is a wonderful stone carving of Christ on the Cross with the two robbers. The soul issuing from the mouth of the good robber is being received by an angel, whereas the soul escaping from the mouth of the bad robber is being assisted by the devil himself.
The pulpit of Karja Church dates from the 17th century, and the neogothic altar from the 19th century.

Karujärv (Bear Lake)
is Saaremaa's oldest lake, dating its beginning to 8000 years ago. It covers an area of 330 hectares and at its deepest is six meters deep. The south shore of the lake is low and muddy, the north shore is higher and in parts gravelly and sandy. The bottom of the lake is mostly sand.
There lake has five islands. According to folk tales, Bear Lake got its name from the story that at one time seven bears fought at this spot. To stop the fight, God made it rain so hard that a lake was formed. The wet bears then left, each one in a different direction, and that is why to this day the lake has seven inlets.

Kaugatuma and Lõo Bluff
is located on the Sõrve peninsula, and it has an interesting geological composition. In relief, it looks like an upside - down version of Western Saaremaa's high relief.
When the ice retreated at the end of the Ice Age, it ploughed deep furrows into the ground, which were later buried under layers of mud. Still, there are little bare outcroppings that were able to withstand the ice.

kihelkonna church Kautliku bluff
is located on the island of Muhu, on the shore north of Lõetsa village. It is 195 meters long and 2.64 meters high.

Kihelkonna church
is located 32 kilometers from Kuressaare, in the town of Kihelkonna. The original church was built during the 13th century. The present, over 60 meters high steeple, was built at the end of the 19th century. The first belltower was built during the 17th century, and is located some hundred meters away from the church. It is the Baltic countries' only separately built and still standing belltower.
The Renaissance style altar painting dates from the end of the 16th century. The pulpit is in the same style and is the oldest remaining pulpit in Saaremaa.

The Kihelkonna ring fort
is located on the Kihelkonna - Musjala road, at the five kilometer mark, approximately 140 meters west of the road. The Kihelkonna stronghold follows the same general plan of all the old Estonian strongholds. It is oval (120 meters x 75 meters), and the walls still standing are eight to ten meters high. The area inside the walls covers an area of 5300 square meters. The stronghold is located on sand dunes in a lovely pine forest. When it was in use, the sea was very close. Now, the ground has risen and the sea has retreated to several kilometers away.

Koguva village
koguva village is on the island of Muhu, six kilometers from the 15 kilometer mark on the Kuivastu - Kuressare road.
Koguva is Estonia's best preserved village. All the buildings in the village under historical protection. Most of the buildings date from the 19th century. The oldest buildings, in the middle of the village, date from the 18th century.
The traditional Saaremaa farm was generally composed of a long farm house where the family lived and where the great room was also used for threshing, several storehouses, a sauna, barns, and a summer kitchen. Often there was a forge. The grain, meat, fish, and clothing storehouses were built separately. The size of the various storehouses naturally depended on the size and wealth of the family.
The stone walls in Koguva village are over 200 years old. The center of the village museum is Tooma farm, which was the original home of the writer Juhan Smuul's forefathers.

Koigi bog
The Koigi mires and wetlands cover an area of 3980 hectares and it is the largest such area in the Estonian western islands. The landscape of the mires is varied and interesting, and it is the home to thirty - five different species of plants, many of them scarce. One fifth of the area is covered in woods specific to wetlands, but most of the area is mires, where the peatfields reach a thickness of three to four and a half meters.

Kuriku bluff
is located in Kihelkonna parish, on the northwestern shore of Tagalaht, east of Undva village, and it is 1.3 kilometers long.

kõljala manor Kõljala Manor The earliest written records of Kõljala Manor date to the year 1509. The oldest remaining parts of the manorhouse itself, located in the cellars, date to the 17th century. During those years the manor belonged to the head of the Saaremaa nobility, Otto von Poll, whose lifestyle certainly was different from the rest of the island nobility. Even though the manor at that time was only a single story, limestone building, it is known that the rooms were lit by ten metal chandeliers, the windows were coverd by curtains interwoven with gold threads, and the walls were covered with twelve large Flemish tapestries.

Kärla church
is 19 kilometers northeast of Kuressare, towards the village of Kärla. It is believed that the church was founded at the beginning of the 14th century. It was destroyed in a fire in 1556. The church was reconstructed in its present classisistlic style during 1842 - 1843.
One of Estonia's lovliest Renaissance style wooden sculptures is located here, Otto von Buxhoevden's memorial epitaph from the year 1591. Johannes Kerg (1849 - 1926), a popular figure in Estonia's nationalistic movement, was the pastor here from 1849 - 1926.

Kübassaare broadleaf forest
In addition to the broadleaf forests, Kübassaare peninsula also contains lots of junipers and beach meadows in its 62 hectares. The forests here are a relic of ancient Estonian forests and have kept their primeval forest look.

Küdema and Lepakõrve "kurisu"´s
(Kurisu are depressions in the ground with a hole in the middle into which water flows, like funnels.) Küdema and Lepakõrve kurisud are the largest and most interesting examples of karstfields in Saaremaa. The Küdema kurisu is south of the village of Küdema, behind ancient remnants of the Littorial Sea. It appears as a 35 meters long and five meters deep egg - shaped karst funnel, where the stream from Ohtja lake is swallowed into the ground.

Laimjala Manor
was founded during the second half of the 17th century. Like most of Saaremaa's manors, it too belonged to the government during the 18th century. The single - story , unextravagant manor house did not differ much from the rest of the island's manor houses. In 1793 it was given to Maj.Gen. Jakob Pistor. During the following years, it changed hands many times.

Lihulinn ring fort
Lihulinn is the most impressive of Saaremaa's ancient fortresses. It is located in a pine forest, built on sand dunes, and it is partially surrounded by bogs. Because of its site, it was easily defended: On the west there is a small stream, which probably years ago was much wider, and on the east and south sides it is protected by three to four meter high sand dunes.

Linnulaht (Bird Bay)
is two kilometers west of Kuressaare. The protected area covers approximately 335 hectares and it is a bay that years ago separated from the rest of the sea to become a sweetwater lake. As the name implies, it is a favored spot for large numbers and types of waterbirds.

Loode Oak Forest
Within a stone's throw from the castle towers, and a ten minute walk from Tori bridge is a verdant and lovely forest - Loode oak forest. It is the only natural park on Saaremaa where oaks predominate. The average age of the oaks is 150 years, some are 300 years old.loona manor-the vilsandi nature preserve center

Loona ManorLoona manor house has a long and complicated history. The earliest parts of the buildings date from the middle ages, vestiges of a fortress - type building can be found in the cellars, where the niches for the beams that protected the main entry still remain, as does a stairway built into the wall, as well as fragments of stone carvings. The present building was constructed in the 17th century, using the remaining standing walls from a previously burnt building.

Lööne Manor
is located on the Kuressaare - Valjala - Kuivastu road at the 25 kilometer mark, one kilometer northwest of the road. The one story stone building with high cellars was built towards the end of the 18th century. The neogothic style entry, over which hangs a finely carved stone coat of arms of the Güldenstubbe family, was added in 1864. Among the fine stonework on the building are the cornices, decorative window frames, and the chiseled building corners.

The Maasi fortress ruins
are located on the Orissaare - Leisi road at the four kilometer mark, 500 meters north of the road. The Livonian Order selected this spot as a harbor and a fortified center after the destruction of its stronghold in Põide by the native Estonians during theSt. George's Day uprising in 1434.

The Mihkli Farm Museum
the mihkli farm museum is located at Viki, 28 kilometers from Kuressaare, towards Kihelkonna. Mihkli farm is a representation of a typical, self - sufficient Western Saaremaa farm as they were well into the l930's. Most of the remaining buildings date to the middle of the 19th century. A majority of the furnishings on display were made by members of the family during a time span of six generations. The farm consists of a newer house where the family lived (a log house with no foundation), an older house that was also used as a threshing barn, a building where the wheels for the farm wagons were constructed (a wheel house), a forge, a summer kitchen, two storage barns, and a smoke sauna (a sauna with no chimney). A few hundred meters from the farm complex is the wooden windmill.

Collection Of Antiquities Of Miilaste Farm
Ethnographic objects related to seafaring and fishery are exposed in the outbuildings of the tourism farm. Most of the objects are related to the same farmstead, part of the collection was found by the owner during diving expeditions and some objects are from other places of Saaremaa.

Muhu church is on Muhu island, in Liiva village, on the Kuivastu - Kuressare road. The church dates to the 13th century. It received a thorough restauration during the 1980's. There are barely visible fragments of 13th century frescoes.visible in the choir. The pulpit dates to the 17th century and is the oldest one in the islands.

The Muhu ring fort
was built on level ground of gravel, dirt and large fieldstones. The original height of the walls was around eight meters, and this height can still be found in the northwestern corner. The oval fortress is approximately 110 meters by 100 meters.

Mullutu - Suurlaht
is two kilometers west from Kuressare. It is separated from Linnulaht by a kilometer - wide strip of land. At its greatest depth, the lake is it is 2.1 meters deep. It separated from the sea approximately 1 000 to 1 500 years ago. It consists of an eastern Suurlaht of approximately 5,9 square kilometers, and a western Mullutulaht of approximately 8.5 square kilometers. The two are separated by a narrow stretch of water that is known as the Kurk, or the throat of the lake.

Mustjala Local Lore Museum
Is located in the village of Mustjala

Mõntu harbor
was built during WW I on Sõrve as a supporting harbor for the fortifications that existed there. It was deepened after the Second World War so that Soviet submarines could dock there. Before WW II, Sõrve was well populated. During the 1944 battles, the Germans evacuated many of the inhabitants to Germany. Some returned, some stayed, and including all the various losses that took place during and after the war, the population of Sõrve is estimated to be a tenth of what it was before WW II.

Neemi village dendrarium
Mihkel Rand, the Neemi village blacksmith, started a garden in 1925 on 4 hectares of limestone crags. Thru much work and effort he transformed an apparently useless piece of land into a true garden. During the 30 remaining years of his life, he planted and cared for more than 100 different species of trees and shrubs here.

Ninase or Tagaranna bluff
is located in Mustjala parish, on the northernmost tip of Tagaranna poolsaar. The cliff is one kilometer in length and at its highest point is five meters high.

odalätsi springs Odalätsi springs
The springs are located at the nine kilometer mark on the Kihelkonna-Pidula road. The springs collect their water from the surrounding bogs and from Karujärv. The water runs along clefts in the underground karstfield on its way to the sea. Close to Odalätsi village the water "springs" to the surface in tens of bubbly springs, that form pools, streams and ultimately the Pidula stream.

The Ohessaare bluff
is located in Torgu parish, on the Sõrve peninsula. It is a half - kilometer long, to four meters high limestone outcrop. Because of its location on the western shore, it is open to the sea and therefore it suffers continuous bombardment during storms.

Oti Manor
is at the fifty kilometer mark on the Kuressaare - Laimjala road, and from there another two kilometers southeast. The somewhat eclectic one story manor house was apparently built during the 18th century. Later verandas, resting on slender pillars, were added to both ends of the building. The imposing, classisistlic two-story entry was added in 1850. Over the entry hangs a finely carved stone coat of arms of the Aderkass family. The building is decorated with other examples of the stone carver's art, such as the fine dolomite corners, the soffits, and decorative window frames.

Paatsa ring fort
Archaeological excavations have shown that there existed an unfortified settlement here during the 11 - 13th centuries. It seems that the low wall surrounding the settlement was built at the end of the 13th or the beginning of the 14th century. Excavations revealed traces of buildings, including the remains of a plank floor and stove footings under the wall.

Panga cliff
panga bluff in winter is located on the northern coast of Saaremaa, on the Mustjala - Leisi road at the 19 kilometer mark, and then ten more kilometers to the north, close to Panga village. Panga bluff is the highestest bluff on the northern coast of Saaremaa and Muhu. At its highest it reaches to 21.3 meters and it is approximately 2.5 meters long. There is another bluff directly under the water that forms almost a perfect semicircle, and against which the wafes break.
According to tradition, Panga bluff was a place of sacrifice for the pre - Christianized Saarlanders. There are stories of sheep and other animal sacrifices, not to mention the obligatory virgin. It is remembered that libations of beer were poured to the sea forces well into the l930's, to ensure good catches and calm seas.

The Pidula ring fort
The Pidula ring fort is located on the grounds of the former Pidula manor. The surrounding wall is nearly three meters wide, and a half a meter to a meter high. The walls enclose an area of 95 meters by 60 meters. There is another smaller ring fort inside the larger one. The smaller one is only about 17 meters in diameter and its walls rise to two meters. One theory is that the owner of Pidula manor, von Toll who was an avid amateur archaeologist and ancient history buff, built this small ring fort as a point of interest in his extensive gardens.
The larger ring fort dates to the first half of the first millennium.

Pidula manor
is located on one of the more popular tourist routes, approximately 11 kilometers from Kihelikonna toward Mustjala. It is a simple, one story building, with a high tile roof. Because of its proportions and discrete but finely worked details, it is considered one of Estonians most attractive Baroque style manor houses. It is believed that the building dates to the middle of the 18th century, the additions in the back of the building were built at the beginning of the 19th century.

Pilguse manor
is located on the Lümanda - Sääre road at the three kilometer marker, then three kilometers toward Karala. The building dates to the second half of the 18th century. The Baroque style manor house has a massive roof, but the addition of a second story and the widened windows have destoyed the original composition. The building is now part of a complex that operates as a residence for the mentally ill.

Piretikivi (Piret's rock)
is on the Kuressaare - Laimjala road at the 35 kilometer mark, next to the road. According to tradition Piret, the wife of Saaremaa's legendary hero Suur Tõll, was carrying stones in her apron to Audla were the happy couple was building a sauna. Piret's apron strings broke and the big boulder fell on her toes. More out of frustration than pain, Piret started crying. Her tears formed the bog that surrounds her boulder, and to this day the bog is known as Naistesoo, or Women's Bog.

Pulli bluff
is the only place in eastern Saaremaa where one can see Saaremaa's underpinnings, the layers of limestone on which Saaremaa is built.

pädaste manor Pädaste Manor
is located on the island of Muhu, surrounded by fields of junipers, and on the edge of the seashore. The Tudor - style manor house was built in the 19th century, the outbuildings follow local traditional building styles. It is surrounded by large lindens, maples and ash trees. The manor is in the process of being restored, and it is operated as a very pleasant hotel and restaurant.

Päelda ring fort
is on the island of Muhu, one and a half kilometers from Viira following the Nõmmküla road to the cemetery, and another kilometer southeast following the road that leads to the village. As at Pidula, it is hard to differentiate Päedla from the surrounding fields. It is surrounded by a low, perhaps a meter high and seven to eight meters wide walls, which encompass an area of 70 meters by 50 meters.

Pöide Church
Pöide St. Mary's church dominates the surrounding low counryside. Due to its massiveness, it gives the impression of a fortress rather than a church. Indeed, it's history is entwined with Saaremaa's battles and fortresses. After the conquest of Saaremaa in 1227, the eastern part of Saaremaa belonged to the Livonian Order, who built a fortress at Pöide as their headquarters during the second half of the 13th century. This fortress was destroyed by the Saarlanders during the wave of uprisings against the occupying forces that took place in Estonia and Saaremaa during St. George's Night uprisings of 1343. There was a chapel on the southern side of the fortress, and the walls of this chapel form the central part of Pöide Church. The church was last burnt and its interior completely destroyed during WW II. It is slowly being restored.

Püha St. Jacob's church Among the medeival churches on Saaremaa, Püha Church tends to be forgotten. If at all, it is generally mentioned only in passing. The reason is not that it is lacking in interest, but that after being burnt during the Livonian War, the church was heavily plastered, which has hidden its construction details. On the other hand, Püha Church is a good place to ponder the changes of fashion and style in church construction.

Pühatu springs
Saaremaa's largest and most well - known sacrificial springs are on the Kuressaare - Võhma road, at the five kilometer mark, behind Pähkla village on a low field, in a little thicket of trees. The spring is deep green in color.
Pre - Christian Saarlanders went to the sacrifical springs to ask for favors, and a metal object, such as a brooch or coin, was left as an offering. There were also eye springs, the water from those springs helped cure ailing eyes. Pühatu spring is also known as Põhjatu spring, or spring with - no - bottom. The story is that once a seven kilometer length of poles was tied end to end, but it still did not reach the bottom of the spring, nor did all the village ropes tied end to end reach the bottom.

Püssina bluff
is on the island of Muhu, east on Lõetsa village, on the coast. The bluff is around 60 kilometers long, at its highest point it is 5.60 meters.

Rannaniidi bluffs
are on Muhu's northeastern tip. Here there are five larger and an entire group of smaller bioherms, where the surrounding stone has mostly been worn away. The heighth of the bluffs is around two to three meters.
Rannaniidi bluffs are on the northeast tip of the island of Muhu. The banks rise to three meters in heighth. The force of ice at work can be seen on the banks, whereby much of the stone has been polished smooth. The banks are of interest to geologists because here the various layers of rock and their formation can easily be reconstructed, which is why this is a protected area.

The island of Ruhnu is an administrative part of Saaremaa and forms an independent Ruhnu parish. It is 11.4 square kilometers in area, and it is 70 kilometers from Kuressaare. Ruhnu is first mentioned in a letter written by the Bishop of Courland in 1341. This letter gave the Swedish inhabitants of Ruhnu the right to live as freedmen, and not serfs. Ruhnu was most heavily populated in 1842, when its population reached 389. Most of Ruhnu's Swedish population was evacuated to Sweden before the Soviet occupation of Estonia. The permanent population now is around 60, most of who came to the island after WW II. The island still boasts a fine wooden Swedish - style church. It also has a lighthouse, school, store, museum and library.

Ruhnu Museum
Museum exhibits about three hundred tools and household utensils once belonging to the inhabitants of Ruhnu. On the wall boards photos and texts on the curious history and nature of Ruhnu are displayed. The most precious exhibits are the over eight thousand years old quartz tools of seal hunters, the dragonhead-shape weathervane of the wooden church (1644), a gun for shooting seals, made by the Swedish native inhabitants of the island etc. A video programme on the history of Ruhnu can be watched. The Korsi farm house, unique in Estonia for its foundationless longitudinal building and hump roof, is currently being restored.

Soeginina bluff
is in Lümanda parish, about two kilometers northwest from Austla village, on the shore. For you geologists, you can see the Rootsiküla deposits' Soeginina and Vesiku dolomite and dolomite\limestone layers there.

Suuriku bluff
is in Kihelkonna parish, on the Tagamöisa peninsula, southeast of Undva village. Next to Panga bluff, Suuriku bluff is the highest bluff in Estonia's western islands. It is 1.6 kilometers long, and at its highest point it reaches to 20 meters.

Page 2