Kuressaare has developed into a support and trading site for the Assyrians at the mouth of the Põduste River on the Gulf of Livia. After the German - Danish conquests, here, the 1230th anniversary of the occupation of Riga Archbishopric was started. The areneski city built in the 14th century and still remains in the bishopric castle.

In the tournament, Kuressaare small town is mentioned for the first time in 1424. The turnaround to a small town was brought about by the Livonian War that broke out in 1558. Merchants in the mainland cities and other people who fled from the foot of the War of Kuressaare began to play a leading role in this trade. In the beginning of 1563 Kuressaare ambassadors Jakob Kohl, Wolter Rothendorf and Gert von Demter requested the duke of Magnus, who at that time settled in the town of Piltena in the Curonian capital city. On May 8, Magnus was granted the privilege according to which the city was called the so-called. Riga law. The governing and organizing body of the city was the now-elected arena, composed of two burgermeister, five lords, city fugues and jury writers. Today, the 8th of May marks the birthday of the city.

At the end of the Danish period, 83 civic families lived. On the other hand, residents of the city lived more without civil rights than Estonian-born settlers who worked as volunteers and caretakers and were carriers, but received their main income from farming.

With the Brömsbro Peace Treaty, the whole of Saaremaa was transferred to Sweden. The Swedish government endorsed the city's former privileges, requiring that more care be taken from the estate, for street-plowing, for the setting up of lodgings and meat supplies.

In 1648 the city of Kuressaare was flooded with the Magnus de la Gardie to the Swedish countryside with the western part of Saaremaa. In order to improve the economic situation in the city, he curtailed the Tiirimetsa manor and Kuressaare, 12 thorns in the south, and suggested rational sources of financial income, such as the construction of the raion wine cellar.

A sawmill building was completed in 1663, and in 1670 a 16-year city hall building was completed. In the vicinity of both baroque buildings, a new heart of the city began to emerge. The market place on this day was littered on a candlelit day and a laurice day. The laurel's dress code, known as the dress code, was kept even until 1939. The city became the influential organization of the Great Guild, which brought together merchants and senior officials. A Small Guild was created for handicraftsmen.

During the Great Northern War, in 1710, the city was plagued with great fire and plague. The fire broke out on March 4, only the pastor's house stood up from the building, only 60 saunas and 11 families of townspeople survived the plague. In September, the Swedish Garnison, which was attenuated, broke out, without any counter-weapons to the Russian troops.

The city recovered from the war. In 1776, many former houses were empty. In the same year, only 53 stone houses were listed in the city, the remaining 115 buildings were wooden and rustic. At that time, the city left the impression that the city was fairly undisturbed - city dwellers walked on the city streets, streets were walkways and no lights.

The situation improved dramatically when Balthasar von Campenhausen, Livonian Deputy Governor, settled in Kuressaare from Riga. On his initiative, the streets were begun to pave, they required the firing of lights and the names of the streets were set. In general, attention was paid to the planned planning of the city. Major changes took place in the city's social life. In 1785, the first local newspaper appeared - the hand-printed weekly "Arensburgsche oder Intelligenzblätter", a men's club, a reading series and the dance club next year. The ghost of the countryside founded itself as a city for the winter, because the society lives and the theater was born. The provincial school, established in Denmark, was transformed into a five-year lead-in school on the initiative of Campenhausen, later becoming a curriculum, then a high school and a gymnasium from 1865.

At the beginning of the nineteenth century, the population of Kuressaare began to increase rapidly. In 1785, there were 2544 inhabitants in the city of 1379 and 1835, but in the middle of the century there were already 3575 of them. The number of Estonian towns was larger only in Tallinn, Tartu, Narva and Pärnu.

In the middle of the nineteenth century, a remarkable event took place in Kuressaare: close to the city there were discovered great health supplies. In 1840, a local carpenter, Dr. Jakob Weis, was constructed. The first mud baths in Kuressaare, inspired by Normann. In 1876 the second rose and in the year 1883, the third mud bath was erected. The fame of the Kuressaare mud grew rapidly, and at the end of the century the number of local volunteers increased to 2000, at the beginning of the 20th century to 3,500.

There were four consulates in the city - Germany, the Netherlands, Sweden and Finland. Regular ship connections were in Riga, Helsinki, Stockholm, Pärnu and Tallinn.

In 1894 traffic started through the new Roomassaare harbor. In view of the winners, the city park was built along with the auditorium and the sound track. Kuressaare has become a cozy resort town.

In the 1920s and 30s, the city grew up. In 1922, there were 917 residential buildings in Kuressaare, in 1939 they were within the limits of 1000. There was a regional upper secondary school, a primary school, an industrial school, a hospital, several flour and wool centers, a parkland factory, and others.
In 1932, 85 societies and associations were counted in Kuressaare. The largest membership was the Kuressaare Estonian Society.

The development of the city was also influenced by the establishment of Soviet power. The connection with foreign countries was interrupted and the existence of Kuressaare as an international resort town became a past. The Thai King's Fest was designed by the Diversion Center, which concentrated on the industrial, educational and cultural potential of the island. For the whole of Estonia, famous food companies, who produced Saaremaa beer and local bread, were famous for their celebrity.

With the rise of housing construction, new towns in Smuuli, Ida Niidu and Tuulte Roos arose, the city got a second high school and several kindergartens.

Since the purification equipment was not built, this led to the pollution of the Kuressaare Bay. In 1976, the coastal waters adjacent to the Kuressaare Bay were closed for bathing.

Concerning the completion of wastewater treatment plants and the beginning of the purification of the Kuressaare Bay in 1994, prerequisites for the restoration of the reputation of Kuressaare emerged.

July 12, 1999 Kuressaare beach was reopened. In the same year, the yacht harbor was restored and the bishop's castle mound was started to be cleaned. There were opportunities for recreation in various recreational activities. These are the first results in the restoration of the city's recreation area and once again turning Kuressaare into a sea port.