History in Brief PDF Prindi
History in Brief

1381-Oesel-Wick bishopric castle first mentioned;
1424-Kuressaare market-town first mentioned;
1559-the last bishop Johannes Münchausen sold Kuressaare together with his other posessions to King Frederik II of Denmark;
1563,
8 May
-Kuressaare obtained the freedom of a town (Rigas bylaws).
1574-Frederik II approved the freedom of the town given on 8 May 1563;Town Hall
1612-during the campaign by Swedws a part of Kuressaare and the town church that was situated at the head of the present Tolli Street burned down. A new church was built in the present town centre;
1645-according to the Brömsebro Peace Treaty Saaremaa became a Swedish area;
1663-the harbour store-house and the Weighing House were built;
1670-construction of the Town Hall was completed. Clerks started getting paid;
1684-modernisation of the castle started;
1710,
4 March
-the greater part of Kuressaare burnt down in the course of the Russian campaign;
1710,
15 Sept
-the castle garrison,devastated by plague, surrendered. A long-term crisis in the town development followed under the Russian rule;
1784 -
1797
-the deputy governor of Livonia Balthasar von Campenhausen that resided in Kuressaare arranged building work in the town as well as development of cultural activity;The bishop's church in castle (1920)
1836-the castle was excluded from the roll of fortifications of Russia and was sold the Knighthood of Saaremaa;
1836-the Lutheran St. Lawrence church was thoroughly rebuilt and obtained the look it holds today;
1858-Wildenberg`s leather-factory was built (destroyed in 1915). In the same year steamers started going from Kuressaare to Riga and St. Peterburg;
1873-the Shipping Society "Osilia" was established, the ship of which went to riga and by railway to the harbours on the mainland;
1875-the first newspaper came out;
1877-the new town-law came into effect and the town administration was rearranged;
1886-Estonian Society of Kuressaare was founded;
1891-Kuressaare Nautical School was established (abolished in 1945);House of Estonian Society (1930)
1894-the new harbour in Roomassaare was completed;
1917Oct.-
1918Nov.
-German occupation;
1918,
19. nov.
-the first town council of the Independence period elected the first town government that was Estonian-minded and used the Estonian language in its work;
1938,
12 Jan.
-the Town Council approved the coat-of-arms and the flag of the town;
1940,
June
-the Soviet occupation rule was established;
1941Sep.-
1944 Oct.
-under the rule of the Nazi German Wehrmecht;
1946-regular flights to Tallinn started;
1968-methodical restoration of the castle and old town started;
1988,
24 Dec.
-on the decision of Saaremaa Rahvarinne (Saaremaa Peoples Front) the national blue, black and white flag was hoisted in the tower of the castle;
1990,
1 Oct.
-Kuressaare became the first municipal town in Estonia;
 
 

Sündmused / Events

<<  November 2017  >>
 Mo  Tu  We  Th  Fr  Sa  Su 
  
1314
21222326
272829   
Saaremaa huvitavaim vaatamisväärsus on:
 
Bänner

Ilm Saaremaal