Kasulikud lingid

Teised saared

Saaremaale tuleksin meelsamini ?
 
The Town Hall PDF Prindi

The Town Hall

2 Tallinna Street
  The Town Hall of Kuressaare with its strict, simple, but distinguished style represents the so called Northern Baroque style. The Swedish nobleman Count Magnus Gabriel de la Gardie was the initiator of the idea of building the hall and draw the first sketches himself. The Town Hall was built in 1654 - 1670, the master builder being Franz Stiemer and the stonemason J. Hansson.
  The building was greatly damaged in the fire in 1710 and afterwards rebuilt time and again. The archive documents and the old photos testify that from 1847 to 1931 there was even a small turret on the roof.The Latin text above the portal reads tekst SEMPER OFFICIO FUNGITUR UTILITATI HOMINUM CONSULENS ET SOCIETATI. ANNO MDCLXX (Always asking advice from people, it obeys its duty in favour of society. AD 1670) stresses the public function of the building.
   The Town Hall got back its initial looks and functions during the restoration in 1961 - 1973. Architect A. Maasik, art historian H. Sirel.
Nowadays the building accommodates the Town Hall Art Gallery, Tourist Information Centre and the Registry Office. In the cellars there is a restaurant Raekelder instead of the Town Hall's wine cellar during the previous centuries.

 
 

Sündmused / Events

<<  Oktoober 2017  >>
 Es  Te  Ko  Ne  Re  La  Pü 
        1
  2  3  4  5  6  7  8
  9101112131415
16
     
Saaremaa huvitavaim vaatamisväärsus on:
 

Ilm Saaremaal