Pädaste manor

Pädaste Manor is located on the island of Muhu, amid juniper strewn pastures that reach to the shores of the sea. The 19th century Tudor style main house and the barns and stables built using local traditional styles of construction are surrounded by a park of maples and linden trees.

The earliest history of the manor reaches to the 16th century, when the surrounding area was given to the Knorring family. Towards the end of the 17th century, there was a wooden manor house here, which included a large orchard. The fields were planted in rye. There was a birch forest, hayfields and pastures.

During the 18th century the manor was known to be fairly wealthy, as was much of Muhu and Saaremaa. The rye yielded good crops, pastures were rich, the wool on the sheep was of excellent quality, and the shores of the sea yielded an abundance of limestone for building. In some years, apples were even fed to pigs. The owner of the manor in those years, O. von Aderkass did not live on the manor. The Aderkass family lived in Narva. Therefore, little attention was paid to constructing imposing buildings.

By the middle of the 19th century, the number of peasants on the manor had grown to 200. A new Tudor-style main building was constructed in 1875. This building is two-storied in the center, with a pediment that encircles the roof on all four sides. A wide staircase leads to the main entrance. Over the entrance is a small iron balcony and the carved dolomite coat of arms belongs to the Buxhoevden family.

The large lawn in front of the main building is lined on both sides by impressive stables and storage barns built of field stone. They are all built more or less in the same style, of split field stone and chiseled dolomite. These buildings are one of the more unique examples of field stone architecture in Estonia.

It is believed that the first building constructed was the horse barn and carriage house. The latter was located in the middle of the building, which was supported by four massive columns of dolomite. Carriage horses were kept in the stables closer to the main house, while the work horses had the stable that was closer to the sea.

The next building, a long, low construction of split field stone was the cheese factory. Over the entrance there is the date "1890". The building has finely chiseled corner blocks of dolomite. The window frames are also dolomite. During its productive years, the cheese factory utilized 100 000 liters of milk per year. Some of this milk came from the manor's own herds, the rest was purchased from surrounding farms.

The two-story field stone storehouse has the construction date, "1879" carved on a wall. The
small building towards the sea was the smithy, next to it the wood workshop. It is decorated with carvings of a saw, plane, chisel and drill.

Pädaste manor is now a very well known and respected small hotel. Most of the aforementioned buildings have been reconstructed into quite luxurious guest quarters. The kitchen of Pädaste manor has become famous for its gourmet meals. The Queen of Denmark has supped here and Pavarotti has been known to lurk in the bushes.

Homepage http://www.padaste.ee/